I was commissioned to make a set of three matching kroje for a family from Wilber. When they came to me, I had one photo and a name of the town for reference. They asked me with complete confidence to complete them by the second week of June, giving me just over a month to make them, and the freedom to create as I saw fit. I have made quite a few kroje, both for myself and others, but I have never had the task of making a kroje from scratch with so little details and a strict time line.
After seeing the photo, I knew that I wouldn’t have a problem making the kroje, I just needed a few details. I contacted the museum where the photo was taken and asked for a photo of the back of the kroj and started searching for the fabric I would need. I got the fabric needed to make both the vest and blouse and constructed them without problems.
The issue comes with the skirt and apron. In the photo, it is unclear if the top layer is a skirt without an apron or an apron with an unknown skirt below. I still had not heard from the museum half way through my timeline and the fabric needed to be order online, so I had to make a decision. I was making a skirt, no apron.
Today, after almost three weeks of (not so patiently waiting and worrying), I finally heard back from the museum! The picture shows an apron with a white eyelet skirt behind. I would’ve never guessed what the skirt looked like and I almost made the apron as a skirt. I am so relieved to have the answers. Luckily, I hadn’t bought anything yet.
Now, I just have to wait for the fabric to come in and work like crazy to meet the deadline. I have some finagling I need to do for the fitting and embroidery and design on the vest to take care of.
Sitting here reflecting on my progress so far and on the process as a whole, I am really proud of myself. I look forward to making more kroje and learning more about how they are made so differently from village to village. I find it fascinating to discover all the new techniques, fabrics, and designs used. Stay tuned for a progress report and final results of this exciting project!